Monday, June 8, 2009

37) My guitars and the 'Shadows' sound












My time now is spent on teaching budding musicians and also adults who just want to play the guitar or keyboards. I have met some who just want to be able to accompany themselves and sing. I have not been able to read a single musical note as I learned to play by ear all my life. Many people have approached me to teach them the easy way without having to read notes and I have obliged them in showing the way.

I was the lead guitarist with The Fabulous Falcons and I was always fascinated with sound of 'The Shadows'. My favourite guitar is the Fender Stratocaster, and together with a Vox AC30 amplifier and Swissecho sound effect, I produced that haunting sound. Probably because of this, I was nicknamed the 'Hank Marvin' among musicians. Over the years, I have accumulated a number of guitars which my son Don bought from the USA . Together with the guitars, I have a Yamaha PS1000 keyboard which I use for my gigs at company functions and dinners. These instruments have served me well.

As I am still quite active in music, I would like to pass on my knowledge to aspiring musicians and even to those who want to partake in the pleasure of music. Some have come to me seeking the 'Hank Marvin' touch while playing to The Shadows music. For those of you who have read my blog, and are interested to learn to play music, please feel free to contact me. It will be a pleasure to pass on my musical knowledge to you.

5 comments:

newd acid said...

Are those guitars, collector's item? I like the Shadows for their vibrato and reverb sounds.

The Travelling Foodie said...

No, they are not collector's items. These are the ones my son bought from the US and I'm using them. I love using the Fender Strat with a digital delay unit to get the Shadows sound. Glad you like it too.

rockaroundtheworld said...

Hi Joe, this is Ron Seow (Ah Chye), ex-lead singer of the Ravens with Sum Sum, Tommy Tan and Dino Lim. Just happened to bump into ipohtalk.com and found your blog by accident. It was such a delight to hear you reminiscing about the 60's and how music is still a part of your life. Can you tell me how to get in touch with Michael Ho? My email is ronseow@hotmail.com.

Recently Andrew Sammy visited me in Melbourne and from there I helped his wife (Veronica) to finally locate her biological parents. What a coincidence. We might be getting old but there are still a few surprises around the corner.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Ansari Noh said...

Hi Joe, Very happy to bump onto ur blog. My chilehood & teen yrs was spent in Ipoh, but now resides in Petaling Jaya. I still remember those happy days when as kids, use to watch a rock n roll movie @ the Rex cinema,Ipoh and we were treated to some live music on stage from the Ipoh Fab Falcons prior to the screening. So you're the one, the lead gtrist with the black rimmed specs resembling Hank Marvin? Man, did I dig you guys then! I'm trying to contact our 'ol fren Thomas Ham (heard he's in Boston)since he was in the neighborhood @ Pasir Puteh then, wish you could give me some lead. Thanks n god bless. My Fb id: Ansari Noh and my email: zakeer9114@gmail.com

Orang Ipoh said...

Hi Joe,

Stumbled on your blog and saw you offer to teach. I'm not really looking for a teacher but hope you can share some tips for me to improve technically. I am playing in a pop ye ye band and I'm 35.