Saturday, November 22, 2008

35) My Life several decades later

As I write, I am recapping the fond memories of the years gone by. I have retired from civil service, have a wonderful wife and two equally wonderful grown up sons. I am still doing solo gigs for functions and also jam with a band playing lead guitar and keyboards. Music is still an important part of my life.

I have kept in contact with most of the guys who are mentioned in my story. As for the members of the Fabulous Falcons, sadly, Christopher aka 13 has passed on. He was an unfortunate victim of a hit-and-run accident. Thomas Ham is residing in the United States of America and I last visited him when I was in Boston a few years back. We still keep in contact through email. Tommy Ong is in Kuala Lumpur where he owns a recording studio. Recently I have been in close contact with Andrew Thong my partner at Miners’ Arms through Facebook. He is now a chef in London. Michael Ho, my bandmate from The Drifter days still lives in Ipoh and is retired from RTM. We meet up occasionally.

After all that is said and done, I think my life has turned out great and I am still residing in Ipoh with my wife Liz, the girl I met at Romy’s party. Both my sons are working in Kuala Lumpur. Although they are professionals in their own fields, I am glad that they, like me, have found the joy in music and made it part of their lives although not as a career.

6 comments:

Peter Loh Yoon Leong said...

Hi,Joe,

Read with interest on the stories of the fabulous falcons. it truly brought back some fond memories of yesteryears. i befriended thomas ham when/since he was leading a band in the applejam disco in the 70s. Met some of his friends like tommy, sugito etc. (i was working with the star then and am now retired.) the last time i met up with thomas was in ipoh earlier this year when he was back for a short holiday.

Peter Loh, Ipoh
h/p 012-5034773
email: peteloh99@yahoo.com

newd acid said...

music is life!

sham said...

Sir,

Tried doing what u did. Juggling music and a day job at the same time. It was no joy ride, i salute u sir.

The Travelling Foodie said...

Hi Sham, thanks for reading my blog. Yes, it is no joy ride. Now that I've retired, I enjoy playing for gigs on my own playing keyboards and at times with a band playing lead guitar. Thanks once again.

CW Wong said...

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the memories. Christopher was featured today in the Star. Thanks for being his friend till the end. Moving stories like yours touch many hearts. God knows and you are blessed.

The Travelling Foodie said...

Thanks CW, this article was first published in 1981 and this is a reprint. Hope you like my blog too.